In partnership with Trans Lifeline, Carnation Books will be publishing an anthology of all-new short stories featuring characters from classic literature reimagined as transgender.
100% of the net profits from this project will be donated directly to Trans Lifeline (translifeline.org), which is a suicide prevention hotline for all people who identify as transgender or otherwise gender-nonconforming.
Here's where you come in: we need your stories!
Maybe you're a writer yourself. If that's the case, we'd love for you to submit a piece for consideration! The guidelines are as follows:
- The story must be a fanwork for a work in the public domain. To determine whether a work is public domain, consult this chart [link].
(Most works published prior to 1923 are in the public domain, but please double check before beginning your story.)
- The story must be between 1,000 and 10,000 words.
- One (or more!) of the characters must be transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer, genderfluid, agender, or otherwise gender nonconforming. Characters of all non-cisgender identities are welcome for inclusion.
- You, the author, do not need to be gender-nonconforming in order to submit a story. Writers of all gender identities, including cisgender writers, are welcome to submit stories.
- The story must address the gender identity of the character.
- Romance is not required, but is welcome. Erotica is also welcome.
- Due to the sensitive nature of Trans Lifeline's work, no character deaths are permitted, including implied/"offscreen" character deaths and terminally ill characters. (This guideline applies only to this anthology.)
- Characters with disabilities, chronic illnesses, and/or mental health challenges are welcome.
- The story must have a happy or hopeful ending! This is an absolute requirement :)
You can write about absolutely any character from a creative work that is not protected by copyright, including fairy tales, early film, folklore, art, mythology, and characters from oral story traditions around the world. We encourage you to think outside the box here! If you'd like suggestions, we'd be glad to help. To get your imagination started, here's a list of popular works in the public domain [link].
We'd also love to include illustrations and artwork about trans* characters!
For this anthology, authors retain copyright over their stories. If you agree to allow us to publish your story, we ask for an exclusivity period of 12 months, during which your story is not published elsewhere. This is solely to encourage readers to donate to Trans Lifeline in order to read your work! Twelve months after publication, the exclusivity period will end, after which you are free to publish your story anywhere you'd like.
Reprints (stories published elsewhere) will be considered on a case-by-case basis, as long as you currently hold the copyright on your work. Preference will be given to your new, unpublished work, in order to encourage your fans to donate to Trans Lifeline!
The deadline for submission is March 31st, 2017.
To submit a story or artwork for consideration, or to ask any question about the project, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please share this page!
Please note: Since we have already received some great stories, we are no longer accepting submissions for the following works only. However, you are welcome to submit a short story related to these works for inclusion in another anthology.
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Snow White
- Alice in Wonderland